Have you ever had an appetizer so good you found it difficult to get past it and move on to the main entree? That’s what happened to me a couple weeks ago. I was having dinner with my friend Cheryl at a local restaurant. Cheryl ordered their gluten-free oak roasted curried cauliflower, and I ordered their gluten-free, vegan margherita pizza. They were both so delicious!
Not long after our plates arrived, Cheryl insisted I taste her curried cauliflower. They smelled amazing, so I decided to take her up on her offer.
The cauliflower was seasoned so well my taste buds perked up! I even sat straighter! I savored each bite, all the while analyzing the herbs and seasonings they used.
The next day, I went to the grocery store to find the most curry-worthy cauliflower I could find. I rushed home and found the leftovers Cheryl had sent home with me. She knew having a couple bites for taste reference would help spur my culinary creativity at home. Thanks, Cheryl!
I wasn’t quite sure how it would turn out, but in my attempt to recreate my new favorite cauliflower appetizer, I made my own curry mix and homemade vegan lemon aioli.
I wasn’t quite sure how it would turn out on my first try, but it actually tasted like the original version from the restaurant! I was pleasantly surprised!
SOME OF MY SUGGESTED PAIRINGS:
Yellow Curry Seasoning
- Baked fries
- Roasted carrots, beets, and potatoes
Vegan Lemon Aioli
- Use as a salad dressing
- Dressing for a zesty macaroni salad. Add only a pinch of salt instead of the amount in the recipe. Add 2/3 tsp of maple syrup to add a light sweetness to the taste.
- Topping for freshly baked potatoes. Top with chives and some freshly-ground black pepper.
So what are you waiting for? Why not make this mouth-watering gluten-free and vegan appetizer for dinner? Trust me, they won’t last long.
Better get a big cauliflower! Just in case. 🙂
Curried Cauliflower with Vegan Lemon Aioli
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Yellow Curry Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp yellow curry
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp Herbamare
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Vegan Lemon Aioli
- 1 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 pinches of grated lemon rind
- 3/4 cup water + 2 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 tsp apple cider vinegar
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 430º F (221º C).
- Slice the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine curry seasoning ingredients.
- In a large bowl, stir the cauliflower and curry seasoning together. Toss with cauliflower until all pieces are well coated. Spread evenly on a large roasting pan.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring after 15 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked and the cauliflower edges are golden brown.
Vegan Lemon Aioli
- Add cashews to a small bowl and soak in water for at least 20 minutes. This will allow the cashews to soften and make them easier to process.
- Drain the cashews and pour them into a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, apple cider vinegar, garlic, onion powder, salt and lemon rind and water.
- Pour desired amount into a dipping bowl. Refrigerate remaining amount for next use.
Question. What is your favorite vegetable recipe and how do you like to prepare it? Please leave a comment by clicking here.