Vegan Potato-Leek Soup
There is something so comforting about having warm, rustic and comforting soups for dinner. I love making all sorts of soups, so a few nights ago, I decided it was time for a new cooking adventure. The cool evening weather called for something warm, creamy and simple, so I challenged myself to make vegan potato-leek soup from scratch. I'd never cooked with leeks before, so I did a quick Google search for ideas. I discovered that most people like to blend their leek soup, but since my husband and I both like rustic soups with texture, we decided to cut our potatoes into medium-sized chunks. Best decision ever! The chunks were perfect! I wish I had made this vegan potato-leek soup sooner!
The soup was very quick and easy to make. Oh, sweet friends! If there was a way for me to share that savory aroma with you on this blog post. I would. I really would! The aroma of the soup simmering on the pot is, in my books, a heartwarming scent. And to top that off, the soup, with a little bit of coconut cream, tastes oh, so, comforting!
This creamy and rustic soup is ideal for cool evenings, especially when served with vegan ratatouille. Stay tuned for the vegan ratatouille recipe in a future post. It's springtime where we live, so I like to think of this soup as a nostalgic memory of winter. This savory, warm and comforting soup has become one of our household favorites.
Vegan Potato-Leek Soup
VEGAN • GLUTEN-FREE
- Heat olive oil in a 4-quart pot
- Saute the garlic until golden brown
- Saute the sliced leeks until slightly tender
- Add potatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until leeks and potatoes are tender.
- Add salt, onion powder, yeast flakes, pepper (optional), and more broth, if necessary.
- Add coconut cream when potatoes and leeks are tender
- Add dill and stir before turning off heat
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts, sliced thinly
- 4 cups chopped potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1½ cup water
- 1½ tsp
- Herbamare or salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 Tbsp yeast flakes
- dash freshly cracked black pepper (optional)
- 2 Tbsp coconut cream
- ½ tsp dill
What is your favorite dinner soup? Please let me know in the comment section below.